Focaccia is having a moment, and we're here for it. The tasty blend of red onion and rosemary in this recipe pair nicely with an olive oil and parmesan dipping sauce. If you have other vegetables or herbs on hand, feel free to add them to the dough. Focaccia makes a great canvas for flavour; now's the time to play!
- ½ cup water, room temperature
- ⅛ teaspoon dry yeast
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2½ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- Red onion, cut into 6mm thick rings
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons flaky sea salt
- Mix starter ingredients together. Cover and let sit out overnight, 8 hours.
Dough & Toppings:
- Mix the starter with the dough ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer. Once combined, knead for 5 minutes. Cover the dough and let rise for one hour.
- Spray the baking pan with oil and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. With your fingers, press the dough into the pan stretching it to the corners. Cover for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C. Mix the topping ingredients, except the salt.
- Drizzle the top of the dough with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Spread the toppings on the dough pressing the rings lightly onto the bread. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.