When it is cool, there is nothing better than a big bowl of soup, especially this tasty Thai coconut chicken soup. This dish layers the flavour as you saute veggies and the result is a brothy—yet creamy—soup full of spice and flavour, bound to invigorate and refresh.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 white onion, sliced thin
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2.5cm fresh ginger, peeled and cut into 6 slices
- 2 stalks lemongrass, cut into four, 5cm pieces and pounded
- 1 ½ tablespoons red curry paste
- 4 cups low salt chicken stock
- 1kg (approx) chicken breast or thigh, sliced to 0.5cm thin and cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 200grams shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2, 400ml cans coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Lime wedges
- Chilli oil
- Gradually heat coconut oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add onion, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, and curry paste. Cook for 4-6 minutes.
- Once the onions soften, add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add chicken and mushrooms, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and continue to cook until the chicken is cooked through, approximately 15 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, sugar, fish sauce, and lime juice. Stir to combine, 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove the ginger and lemongrass with a slotted spoon.
- Garnish with coriander, chilli oil, and lime wedges. Serve immediately.