If you come across a stall on the roadside this summer, or you happen to be lucky enough to have an excess supply, use our Lodge Pie Pan to make this delicious strawberry pie. (You could also use our 26cm Skillet or 26cm dual handled pan to make this recipe).
- 1 homemade pie crust
- 1.8kgs strawberries, sliced into quarters
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons tapioca starch or cornflour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons cream
- Toss berries with one cup sugar and let them sit for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Drain the strawberries well (you can reserve the liquid for a refreshing drink!). Toss the berries with lemon juice, cornflour, and vanilla.
- Remove the pie crust from the refrigerator and roll out the dough until it is about 3mm thick. Take about 2/3 of the dough and fold it into thirds. Unfold into the skillet. Trim the edges to hang about 2cm over the lip. Place it back in the fridge while you roll out the small piece of dough.
- Roll the remaining ⅓ of dough into an oblong shape and cut it into five or six 2-3cm strips.
- Place strawberries in chilled crust and lattice the top with the excess dough.
- Mix egg yolk and cream with a fork and brush onto the pie dough.
- Place skillet on a tray. Bake for one hour on the bottom rack, or until the crust is golden brown and the centre of the filling is bubbly and thick. Cool on a wire rack at least two hours before slicing.
This recipe comes to us from Melissa Martin.