This recipe was submitted by Skyla Murray in June 2020. You could use any of the larger Lodge skillets or a deep skillet for this delicious dinner for two.
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Half an onion (diced)
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- Red chilli flakes to season
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet, saute 2 cloves of garlic, and diced onion in a tablespoon of oil, until translucent. Add tinned tomatoes and stock, bring to the boil and simmer on low-medium heat. Once reduced and thickened, about 15-20 mins in, add sugar and white wine vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- In another skillet, saute oil and garlic for 1-2 minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted. Set aside for filling.
- Butterfly chicken breasts and season with salt and pepper. Once opened, fill the chicken breasts with two slices of mozzarella and spinach on top. Fold chicken back together and sprinkle chilli flakes over top.
- Heat your Lodge skillet on medium heat with one tablespoon of oil. Sear and cook chicken on both sides until golden. Pour tomato sauce around chicken and put a lid on the skillet (or put in the oven at 180°C) until cooked through (10-12 minutes). Serve immediately and enjoy!