Favourite summer flavours, prepared in one pan and ready in 30 minutes. Add perfectly seared strips of steak to a classic caprese salad for a quick and delicious meal.
- 2 eye fillets, approx. 170g each
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes (different colours if you can get them)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 200g fresh mozzarella, sliced
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- cracked pepper, for garnish
- balsamic glaze, for garnish
- Remove steaks from the fridge and pat with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Leave to come up to room temperature.
- Toss the tomatoes with olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Preheat your 26cm skillet (or dual handled pan) over medium-high heat, about 5 minutes.
- Season steaks on all sides with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Bring your oven rack to the highest level and set the grill to high.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet and sear the steaks for 4 minutes per side. Depending on the thickness of your fillet, you may need to sear the sides as well.
- Remove steaks and set aside to rest.
- Reduce heat to medium, add tomatoes and cook undisturbed for 2-3 minutes. Stir the tomatoes and cook for 2 additional minutes. Remove from heat.
- Slice filets into 1cm strips.
- Layer the beef strips with mozzarella slices on top of the tomatoes and set the skillet in the oven.
- Grill for 1-2 minutes or more, depending on desired doneness.
- Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle with salt and cracked pepper.
- Top with basil and drizzle with balsamic glaze.