This satisfying recipe results in super-tender meat steeped in an incredibly rich and flavourful gravy. The secret is braising: a moist-heat technique that involves cooking meat in some type of liquid in an enclosed pot on low heat. Pair the pork chops with crispy roast potatoes and salad or green beans.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 bone-in pork chops
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Garlic, one head cut crosswise
- 10 sprigs thyme
- Preheat a Dutch oven or a braiser over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Add olive oil and swirl to coat.
- Season pork chops on all sides with salt and pepper. Sear pork chops 3-5 minutes per side. Remove chops and cover.
- Lower heat to medium and add milk, heavy cream, and baking soda. Bring to a simmer.
- Add chops, along with garlic and thyme, and cover for 45 minutes.
- Remove chops to a plate and simmer sauce, uncovered, until thickened, about 10 minutes.