This side dish is beautiful and knockout delicious, making it perfect for a side to a special roast dinner, but easy enough for everyday.
- 4 slices of bacon, diced
- 4 medium kumera or sweet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
Maple Spice Mix:
- 125g butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Preheat a 30cm skillet or pan over medium heat for 5 minutes, then cook bacon until done, about 10 minutes. Drain the grease from the pan and set aside.
- Make horizontal slices in the kumera about ½ cm apart, being careful not to slice all the way through to the bottom.
- Place potatoes in the cast iron pan, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Add ¼ cup water to the bottom of the pan, and cover. Steam potatoes in covered pan over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make maple spice mixture. Combine melted butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, pecans, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- After potatoes have finished steaming, remove lid from the pan and bake in oven on middle rack for 35 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from oven and turn it up to 210°C. Spoon maple spice mixture into each sliver of potatoes, sprinkle with bacon and a pinch of salt, and bake for 15 more minutes.