This recipe was made in a 30cm chef skillet from the Lodge Chef Collection range (available in stockist throughout the country), but can be made in a classic 30cm Lodge skillet too.
1 & ½ sheets Savoury Short Pastry
4 large tomatoes (or more if you're using a variety of sizes)
¼ teaspoon of salt
¼ teaspoon of pepper
1 tablespoon of olive oil
¼ cup of fresh basil (torn, plus more for garnish)
½ cup (plus one tablespoon) grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius
- Slice tomatoes about 50mm in thickness and place on a paper towel to draw out moisture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make a basic pie crust or use savoury short pastry pre-made from the supermarket. Roll the short crust pastry dough until it is about 3mm thick and 35cm in diameter. Place your pastry into your 30cm skillet (the edges should hang over quite a bit). Brush the bottom of the pie pastry with olive oil and sprinkle with the ½ cup of Parmesan cheese and torn basil.
- Starting in the centre, place tomato slices in a slightly overlapping circular pattern until the galette is filled. Fold the edges over to form the crust.
- Brush the crust of the pastry with beaten egg and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake until the crust is golden brown and the tomatoes are bubbling, about 45 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve hot or cold.