These smashed potatoes are the perfect combination of savoury and sweet to add to your grilling menu. The secret? We add a little bit of bacon grease to the vinaigrette. Make extra—you’ll be coming back for seconds! You can also top these with a fried egg for an unforgettable breakfast.
- 700g potatoes, washed
- water, enough to cover the potatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus 2 teaspoons divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 225g bacon
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped, for garnish
- reserved bacon, for garnish
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease/oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ tablespoon pepper
- Add potatoes to a pot with enough cold water to cover by 2-3cm.
- Bring to a boil, add 1 tablespoon salt, and lower to a simmer. Simmer for 12-15 minutes.
- Use a fork to check for doneness. A fork should slide in easily.
- Remove from heat and drain.
- While the potatoes are boiling, pre-heat the BBQ over medium heat with the lid closed for 10 minutes. Place the Reversible Pro Grill/Griddle or dual handle pan inside the BBQ and preheat with the lid closed, about 5 minutes. (Of course in the winter, the cooktop and oven will work equally as well).
- Lightly oil the griddle and add the bacon. Cook until crisped to your liking, closing the lid as needed, about 10-15 minutes per side. Remove and crumble.
- Close the lid for 3- 5 minutes before adding potatoes.
- Using a spatula, spread out the bacon grease evenly on the griddle. In batches, add the potatoes to the griddle. Place a piece of parchment paper on the potatoes and mash them until the Burger Press touches the griddle. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Repeat with remaining potatoes. Discard parchment paper.
- Cook the potatoes for 3-5 minutes per side. The edges should be crispy and nicely browned. Remove from heat.
- Add vinaigrette ingredients together and mix well with whisk or fork. Add hot bacon grease and whisk or shake in a mason jar.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl or platter, top with vinaigrette, and sprinkle with crispy bacon and parsley.
- Serve warm.