These hearty burgers will please vegetarians and carnivores alike. Topped with mozzarella, tomato, spinach, and garlic aioli, these burgers are perfect for summer. Serve with a simple salad, pasta salad, or homemade chips.
- 8 large portobello mushrooms
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons (plus 2 tablespoons) olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 4 hamburger buns
- 8 slices of mozzarella (or preferred cheese)
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- garlic aioli
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Gently wash mushrooms with a damp cloth and paper towel, remove stems and discard.
- Combine balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, and cayenne pepper in a sealable plastic bag or bowl. Add mushroom caps and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- While the BBQ or grill pan is heating, combine aioli ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Remove the mushroom caps from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture, season with salt and pepper.
- Oil the grill and grill the mushroom caps for 4 minutes per side. Add mozzarella for the last 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the mushrooms from the grill. Brush the buns with remaining olive oil and grill for 1 minute.
- Assemble the burgers. Bun, aioli, spinach, mushroom x 2, spinach, tomato, aioli, bun.