225grams fusilli, casareccia or gemelli pasta
¾ cup olive oil, divided
1 cup basil, packed
½ cup walnuts, toasted, chopped (allow to cool)
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
¼ teaspoon cayenne
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 medium courgette, cubed
450grams green beans, ends trimmed, sliced in 5cm pieces
Basil leaves, for garnish
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook pasta, 7 to 8 minutes. Strain the pasta and cool completely under running water. Coat the pasta with 2 tablespoons oil and reserve for later.
- In a high-speed blender, blend the basil, walnuts, lemon juice, zest and cayenne on high speed. In a steady stream, add 1/2 cup oil. Season the pesto with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, toss the courgette with remaining oil and season with salt and pepper.
- In a preheated square cast iron grill pan, add the courgette and grill until soft, 6 to 8 minutes. Allow the courgette to get good grill marks, do not over mix the courgette. Mix in the green beans and continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Mix the pasta and grilled vegetables then season to taste with the pesto. Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with basil leaves.