Fried or grilled, these delicious chicken wings are a treat for snacks, lunch or served with salad for dinner.
- 1 kg of chicken wings
- 6 cups vegetable oil (if frying)
- 1 cup cayenne based hot sauce (like Frank's or Culley's)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder (if baking)
- 2 teaspoons salt (if baking)
- 1 teaspoon paprika (if baking and optional)
Fried Wings -
- Pat wings dry with paper towels. In a 4.7L Dutch Oven, heat oil to 190°C.
- Carefully add wings to hot oil using tongs, being careful not to overcrowd the Dutch Oven.
- Deep fry until crispy and cooked through, about 10-12 minutes. For crispier wings, cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oil and drain on a paper towel.
- Place wings in a bowl and toss in sauce.
Crispy Baked Wings -
- Pat wings dry with paper towels. Preheat the oven to 120°C.
- Place wings in a large bowl and toss with 3 teaspoons of baking powder, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of paprika. Mix well. Coat with 2 tablespoons of canola oil.
- Place on a wire rack, on top of a lipped cooking tray.
- Cook wings for 20 minutes in the lower part of the oven, then increase the heat to 220°C, place in the upper part of the oven for 40 minutes or until crispy.
- Remove wings from grill and place in a heat-safe bowl. Toss in hot sauce.
Hot Sauce -
- Melt butter in a sauce pan or small skillet
- Add hot sauce and white vinegar
- Simmer for 1-2 minutes
If you can't have your hot wings without a blue cheese dip then we have a recipe for that too!
Blue Cheese -
- Mash ¼ cup of blue cheese and ¼ cup of sour cream until smooth
- Add 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise, a small clove of garlic minced, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and salt and pepper. Combine all ingredients and use a little milk if you need to adjust consistency.
Serve your hot wings with celery sticks.. and beer.